Phase 1 Completed
This banish bedroom boredom makeover has several phases:
- Phase 1:
Procure and install platform bed base
- Phase 2: Construct headboard from 3 old doors, crown molding and trim
- Paint and antique headboard with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint & Wax
- Phase 3: Procure new nightstand
- Paint old and new nightstands with A.S. chalk paint to match headboard
- Phase 4: Hang flatscreen TV on wall
- Phase 5: Accessorize bedroom – procure bedskirt & lamps, rearrange pictures and art
Phase 1 – Operation Replace Bed Base
You may recall from the previous post about our bedroom, I foolishly purged the original base to our Sleep Number bed a few years ago, so now, much to my chagrim, I’ve purchased a new one and we assembled it this weekend.
It’s amazing how much taller the bed is with an additional 5 inches of height.
The assembly meant we needed to move the storage boxes and the folding tables from under the bed, and in doing so realized we needed to clean there. It’s a little embarrassing to admit its the first time in 8 years we’ve cleaned under the bed..
Dust bunnies, and their dog fur bunny cousins were successfully run out of town.
My allergies have already begun to improve.
Phase 2 – Banish Bedroom Boredom – Making the Headboard
You may recall my inspiration pieces:
Tim will use his carpetentry skills to bring 3 vintage doors together to resemble my inspiration headboard from Restoration Hardware.
After much debate with myself, decided to go with the creamy white finish for the headboard. The lure of the the glamourous and dark zinc finish was strong, I convinced myself that the smart choice from a project completion standpoint was the creamy white finish.
Here’s my thinking:
- This makeover is likely to take a while, (see Phases 2-5 above)
- Although I really liked the zinc, I just didn’t want to have to paint the walls, ceilings and trim work when I’m still in love with the milk chocolate brown walls AND they’re still in really good shape, even after 8 years
- My painting gene is likely to get enough of a workout with painting the bed and the nightstands.
- The bed linens will work with the cream, meaning I won’t have to purchase all new bedspreads, duvets, and pillows – saving me money to spend on a fabulous bedskirt
More as the Project BBB continues.