Interior design has fascinated me since I was just a little girl. My
significant otherhusband would tell you, by his definition, I have no hobbies, but he is wrong – my hobby is decorating our home.
It started innocently enough when I received my first Barbie Dream Home at age 6 or 7. While other little girls were pondering how to dress Barbie, I was trying to find the perfect bedspread for Barbie’s master bedroom using my mother’s good washcloths.
When I was old enough to choose the colors for my room, I began a love affair with color and painting walls. The walls of my childhood bedroom have been lavender, celadon green, chocolate brown and bright turquoise. My room had the distinction of the only room in our house that had never been painted white.
In my teens and early twenties, my interest in interior decorating was spurred on by the gorgeous interiors featured in shelter magazines. Like many, I clipped and saved pages of beautifully designed rooms, ideas and objects that would someday (I hoped) manifest themselves in my own home. As a renter, I tried out many looks and styles until 2006, when I bought my first home. A significant portion of this blog is about our house, and we could not have been prouder. What we didn’t realize what how much hard work it was going to be. And still is. This section chronicles the things we’ve done to the house along the way.
Read all about our renovation & decorating adventures
- Project Banish Bedroom Boredom has Begun
- Chalk Painted Furniture Experiment | What I Need to Learn to Get it Right
- Still The Same Old, Same Old Bedroom
- My Ottoman Empire
- Ottomans, Monograms & Blooms
- I shutter to think …
- I shutter to think…
- Porch Fantasies and Deck Dreams
- That Certain Shade of Green
- Come See the Accessory Reveal
- Our Married Monogram
- Spring Accessory Tease
- I love Louis…My spring mantle makeover
- Digging Out
- Its a bird! Its a plane! No, silly, its a new DECK!
- More Spring Dreams
- Thinking of Spring
- Spring Indoors
- Water Oak has Allergies and Snots on Everything
- Spring 2013 at My House
- Fall Accents in the Living room
- What’s my style according Ethan Allen?
- Now selling on Craigslist DC
- Small Creations, Rearrangements and an Acquisition
- New Kitchen Window Valance
- The Backyard we started with in 2006
- The Backyard Clean Up – a Tease
- Mirror, mirror leaning on the wall
Tale of Two Doors – Part 2
- A Tale of Two Doors
- The Ikea Pillows
- High end find at Ikea
- Living room do over
- House updates
- Home Invasion
- Say, that’s a nice looking pedestal sink you have there…
- The Living Room Evolves
- Feathering the Nest
- Thought you weren’t going to start any new projects, hmmm…
- Our House… so far
- Sledgehammer? Check!
- Punch List Cross off’s
- Our First Christmas Tree
- The Master Bedroom
- Renovation Update
- OMG! Could THAT actually be a kitchen?
- Kitchen is Gutted
- I AM now a homeowner
- My House – the AS-IS Purchase
- My new home